- The conduct of a general population survey (based on a questionnaire and an APP on smartphones - XMobiSense) to characterise typical uses (surfing, voice calls, data download, text messages, etc.) in different contexts (home, work, school, transport, etc.) and positions (device close to the head, on the lap, etc.);
- The evaluation of power emitted by different mobile sources, based on existing measurements and tools (mobile test system (TEMS)), for different uses (voice call – on standard networks or VoIP), close to the head or using loud-speaker or hands-free kits; data use (3G, LTE, Wifi, Femto cells);
- The evaluation of exposure related to different uses and positions, based on a compilation of existing dosimetric data and additional measurements for specific configurations. Specific dosimetric studies will be conducted if necessary ;
- The development of RF exposure matrices for different devices, technologies and uses based on data on typical uses and related exposure derived within the project. These matrices will be an important asset for exposure estimation in the general population and in epidemiological studies.
Work in this project will be carried out by two complementary teams (epidemiologists and engineers) who will collaborate to achieve the project’s objectives. The plan of work will be developed jointly and specific activities conducted in parallel.
- WP1. Characterisation and evaluation of uses in the general population
- WP2. Identification and characterisation of networks and systems – existing and foreseen – that can be used for the uses identified in WP1.
- WP3. Evaluation of emitted power for the sources identified in WP2
- WP4. Evaluation of exposure related to different uses and functions
- WP5. Development of appropriate indicators to quantify RF exposure related to new devices, uses and technologies.
The estimated project duration is 36 months.
International Society of Radiation Epidemiology & Dosimetry
1st meeting – 5-8 May 2020, SITGES, SPAIN
More info soon...